Many of you have been pleading, “More tree pictures, Bob!” I cannot refuse.
The forest between home and work is a beech/oak forest. The beeches are smooth-barked and grow to a good size—trunks up to five feet in diameter, I’d say. The oaks have thick grooved barks. In winter they have a sinister, witchy appearance with gnarled black branches thrusting out in all directions.
Working from north to south, here are some of my favorites:
 |
| Not sure what the story is here. Looks like it belongs in a sculpture garden. Nice big “tree ear” fungus on lower left. (Double-click for larger image.) |
 |
| An oak. Notice how the branches corkscrew. |
 |
| I wasn’t able to get a picture to show it, but this grove is roughly circular, with a bare patch in the center. I think of it as the druid grove. Not sure what kind of tree they are—too smooth-barked to be oaks; too gnarled to be beeches. Must be a nice little hide-out once the foliage is out. |
 |
| This is an 800-year old oak—according to the accompanying text (below), about as old as Copenhagen. It stands alongside the coast road, so just imagine all the carts, carriages, etc., that have driven by over the centuries. It’s hollow and has served as temporary housing from time to time. |
 |
| Signage for 800-year-old oak. |
1 comment:
Nice tree pix, Bob.
What's the pollen activity there this time of year?
My allergy doc and pharmacist both say this spring is worse than most and I've been feeling it. The only relief is when I go to the mountains or some place farther away.
So as a fellow allergy sufferer, this may be a great spring to be someplace else.
Wendy
Post a Comment